Monday, November 10, 2008

"The Art of the Muse"

Might as well get all of these hairy introductions out of the way.

I'm a senior at a small liberal arts university. This blog was started as a project for an academic internship that I'm doing called "Journalism and the Liberal Arts," but I hope to continue it after the internship ends. My goal is to eventually become an arts and entertainment writer, so this is a project that I'm really excited about.

Music is rather indescribable for me (as evidenced by the difficulty I had in choosing a title for the blog). It is something that is ever present - whether streaming from my computer, iPod or car speakers, stuck in my head, or filtering out from everyday sources. It is an escape, a catharsis, an auditory expression of an inner feeling - but it is also so much more than that.

The title of the blog, Courting the Muse, was inspired by both the sporadic, frustratingly uncontrollable nature of the creative process and the term mousikê, which is Greek for "the art of the muse."

Since this is my first blog of this nature, I would really appreciate any feedback that you can provide (though please be nice). Happy reading.

No comments: