Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Covers


I was listening to Last.fm earlier, when "Brandy Alexander" came on. Thinking that it was written by Leslie Feist, I was confused that it was being sung by Ron Sexsmith. That was a cover? I thought, feeling slightly like I had been had. I later found out the Feist and Sexsmith co-wrote it and recorded separate versions, but by that time, covers were already implanted firmly in my mind.

I've never been quite sure where I stand on the issue of covers. On the one hand, they are (in some cases) the byproducts of cocky, young pop artists "messing" with classic songs that really had nothing wrong with them in the first place. They can seem like more of an insult than a tribute. (For more on this, see this blog) On the other hand, it is really cool how covers reimagine and reinterpret their predescessors. Just as there can be many sides to an issue, there can be many subtexts to a song.

Covers definitely toe a thin line. Some are artistic masterpieces, others, sheer pain. Here are some selections for you:

a few covers I think are well done:

"Such Great Heights," Iron and Wine covering The Postal Service
I actually like this cover better than the original, which is very good in its own right. Sam Beam's (Iron and Wine is his stage name) version makes you want to lose yourself in the delicate guitar picking and breathy melody, and lends a sweetness that is lost in the fast tempo of the original.
Such Great Heights - Iron and Wine

"Across the Universe," Rufus Wainwright covering The Beatles
For the most part, I am not really a fan of Rufus Wainwright, but he hits this song just right.
Across The Universe - Rufus Wainwright

"American Woman," Lenny Kravitz covering The Guess Who
A funky interpretation of the classic.
American Woman - Lenny Kravitz

"Night and Day," Sondre Lerche covering Cole Porter
LOVE this
Night And Day - Sondre Lerche


and for fun, a few that I can't stand:


"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," Britney Spears covering The Rolling Stones
Oh, Brit Brit. I hated you before, but after you did a lousy cover of the Stones? There are no words.
(I Cant Get No) Satisfaction - Britney Spears

"Take My Breath Away," Jessica Simpson covering Berlin
Jessica Simpson, why?! Although I agree on the use of the convertible in the music video in accordance with the title of the song. I can't breathe in those things, either. (Though somehow, I don't think that was what she was going after)
Take My Breath Away - Jessica Simpson

So where do you fall on the issue?

No comments: