Thursday, November 13, 2008

Apparition of the Eternal Church


I walked out of the Chapel with a glazed stare on my face. The only words that I could bring to mind were "holy. fuck." My body was numb, my head was fuzzy and all I wanted to do was give somebody a hug.

Mine was only one of the many reactions to the film Apparition of the Eternal Church by Paul Festa. In fact, the film was based on reactions - Festa had people from all walks of life listen to the song "Apparition de l'Église éternelle" or "Apparition of the Eternal Church" by Olivier Messiaen. The listeners were asked to give their reactions to the music while they were listening to it. What is produced is unexpected, real and altogether human. The film plays on the themes of torture, violence and sex in religion. It closes with quotations by William Blake and Friedrich Nietzsche, followed by a list of the gruesome ends that people have met for the sake of religion flashing like gunfire on the screen until the words become imperceptible.

The film showing was synced with a live performance of "Apparition de l'Église éternelle," played on the thundering organ. As the sonorous chords echoed throughout the Chapel, it was the closest thing to complete and total abandon I have ever felt. I was no longer aware of myself or the people around me, but was overwhelmed by a sense of awe. It was beautiful and terrible at the same time.

Here is a link to the film's website.

No comments: