Saturday, February 14, 2009

Top Ten: Love Songs


Happy Valentine's Day everybody! As some of you may know I sort of hate Valentine's Day (or at least the commercialized, couple-centric, artificial mess it has become). However, the main premise of letting people know how much they mean to you is a good one, and well...to be honest...most songs are about love of some sort, and so I felt that this was as good a time as any to address the whole love song thing. Enjoy, it is not often that I will dip into the sap like this:

1) "I'll Have to Say 'I Love You' in a Song," Jim Croce (full song)
This song is so honest and real. Plus, the idea of somebody writing a (damn good) song at 3 in the morning just to say "I love you" is pretty sweet.


ILL HAVE TO SAY I LOVE YOU IN A SONG - Jim Croce

2) "Your Song," Elton John (full song)
This song is just classic romance. Especially the part about the eyes.


Your Song - Elton John

3) "The Way I Am," Ingrid Michaelson (full song)
This song represents the everyday kind of romance which is more love in my opinion than roses and champagne and all that. It is a promise to stand by somebody through the good and the bad days and love them for everything that makes them them, faults and all.


The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson

4) "I Will Follow You Into the Dark," Death Cab For Cutie (full song)
This song is sad and comforting at the same time.


I Will Follow You into the Dark - Death Cab for Cutie

5) "Tiny Dancer," Elton John (full song)
I don't know why, but I freaking love this song. (I have a sneaking suspicion that it is partially the fault of that one "Office" episode)


Tiny Dancer - Elton John

6) "Echo," Incubus (clip)
Beautifully articulated.


Echo - Incubus

7) "Giving Up," Ingrid Michaelson (full song)
Say what you will about her, but Ms. Michaelson sure writes a mean (as in impressive) love song. This one spends most of the duration noting all of the doubts that crop up in a relationship, until the singer finally accepts that they don't care about all that.


Giving Up - Ingrid Michaelson

8) "Samson," Regina Spektor (full song)
Pretty. And sort of bittersweet.


Samson - Regina Spektor

9) "Gracie," Ben Folds (clip)
A different kind of love.


Gracie - Ben Folds

10) "(I Wanna) Call It Love," Sondre Lerche (full song)
Just too freaking cute.


(I Wanna) Call It Love - Sondre Lerche And The Faces Down Quartet

2 comments:

Elaine said...

I just want to bestow two compliments:

1. I really enjoyed this post - especially how it highlights those songs that aren't so obviously love songs.

2. Your blog is really well-organized and I like how you have links to the songs right there. I can actually experience what you're talking about. :)

Courting the Muse said...

Thanks! The compliments mean a lot, and I'm glad that the blog is coming off as organized. There are still times when I wonder if it's just one big mess.