Monday, February 16, 2009

Shameless Product Promotion


I am a thrifty person. I'm also a stubborn person. Therefore, when one of my earbuds broke while I was working last summer, I popped the cover back on and continued on with my business...and when my earbuds started shocking me this winter, I ignored it, figuring that my iPod was a low enough power source that it wouldn't cause me much damage...when the sound started dying, however, I knew that I couldn't put it off any longer.

A lady I talked with in a TJ Maxx one time told me that she had tried many earbud brands and that the "Marshmallow" earbuds by JVC were the best ones. Assuming that she had no reason to lie to me, I decided to try them.

After a few days of contemplating whether or not to return them (they were $20 - a little pricey as far as earbuds go), I decided that that was getting me nowhere. I unwrapped them, squished them down like the instructions said, and put them in my ears.

JJJwwwwuummm. It was like I was hearing things in a vacuum. All of the ambient noise was drowned out, and I could actually hear the music at a lower volume.

The ultimate test was this morning when I took them to the gym. Sweaty people grunted, ellipticals spun and tennis-shoed feet pounded out rhythms on treadmills. Staking out an elliptical, I placed my article and cell phone in the holders, started pedaling and put the earbuds in. Suddenly, all of the noises of the gym were blotted out. It was just me and Jim Croce. (I know, kind of a weird pick for the gym)

Of course, they're not perfect. The cord makes a lot of noise when I walk and it kind of weirds me out that I can hear my own breath and heartbeat. The sound quality is alright, but not as high quality as with more deluxe headphones. However, for 20 bucks, they're pretty good. If you're in the market for some new earbuds, I'd definitely recommend these.

No comments: