Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"It's Getting Hot in Here"



Here's one for the annals of Never Saw That Coming: there seems to be a recent trend within the folk and indie communities in which artists do facetious acoustic covers of hip hop tunes.

They're actually pretty enjoyable if you can get over the fact that the covers are so tongue-in-cheek that they threaten to give you a canker sore.

Sometimes I think that half of my music taste is ironic. "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, "Africa" by Toto, "Hey Ya!" by Outkast are among my list of loved songs, and I could probably name several more. There is something beautiful about a song that is so utterly ridiculous and fun that you can just enjoy it without having to analyze it too much. Such songs are surface and they know it. Just like that friend who you can always count on for a good time, if not for reliability, these songs are not always deep, but they make up for it in fun. I think that one of the main points of music is that it should trigger something. For me, such songs always trigger a smile and a laugh.

Here are a few covers that I found:

“Hot in Herre,” Jenny Owen Youngs (full song)

“Umbrella,” MariĆ© Digby (full song)

Umbrella - Marie Digby

No comments: