Saturday, December 13, 2008

Artist(s) You Should Know About: Sondre Lerche


Eeee! I am finally the owner of Phantom Punch, Sondre Lerche's second-newest major album. For some reason, it has been particularly hard to find, and I have been searching for what feels like forever for it. This means only EPs left, and I should have his entire discography.

Sondre Lerche is the only artist that I've ever tried this for. I have an album from this artist, a song or two from that one, but have never had the ambition (or the money) to try to get everything from other artists. It'd be exhausting, to tell the truth.

Having very ecclectic tastes in music (and being a very indecisive person), I always found it incredibly difficult to pick my top five or ten artists, let alone a favorite.

That is, until I 'met' Mr. Lerche. I don't know what it is, but something about his music is just right - even though it is different on each album. I first was introduced to it in high school when a friend of mine included a couple of his songs on a mix CD. It was love at first listen.

Although -- or maybe because -- he continues to tweak his sound on each album, he is one of the few artists who has survived my axe (or rather, disclusion from my iTunes library) during the transition from high school to college. Now that I am on the verge of entering into yet another phase of life, Lerche continues to be my favorite artist, and I doubt that will change any time soon.



As I've grown up, so has he. The 26-year-old singer/songwriter/guitarist from Bergen, Norway has metamorphosed beautifully from the contemplative indie on Faces Down to the plugged-in poet on Two Way Monologue to the rocker on Phantom Punch and to the jazz crooner on Duper Sessions.

For the soundtrack to Dan in Real Life, he pulled a Simon and Garfunkel (you've seen The Graduate right?...right? If not, let me know and we'll remedy this immediately) by writing and performing almost the entire soundtrack. He's also a very charming live performer and a witty blogger. (Check out the blog on his website, which is listed at the bottom of this post)

There is something about Lerche's somewhat strange, completely unique voice that is so appealing. When he sings, it is like every fiber within him is straining with the passion and force of pushing out feelings so deep they can only be expressed as a musical wail. And yet, the subtext of the tortured artist is covered by a seeming effortlessness and laid back charm. When you listen to him and watch him perform, you simultaneouly see the little boy, with his heart in his hands his eyes wide with vulnerability, and the man, the sophisticated musician with the mad guitar skills and songs full of musical surprises and lyrical complexity.

I must confess that I don't feel that my writing can ever quite capture the essence of this amazing musician and how it feels to listen to his music. All I can say, is give him a listen(I suggest starting with Faces Down or Two Way Monologue), keep an open mind, and enjoy.

The official website

Sondre Lerche Daytrotter session

Sondre Lerche selections

No comments: